Fresh Herb Recipes
Potato Salad with Chives
- 1 3/4 pounds new potatoes, halved
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh CHIVES
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh CHIVES for garnish
Place the potatoes into a pan and fill with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water.
In a large bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise and 1/2 cup of chives. When the potatoes have cooled, stir them into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining chives.
Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 pounds tomatoes - cored, peeled, and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh BASIL leaves
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 sprigs fresh BASIL for garnish
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the chicken broth, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 15 minutes. Transfer soup to a blender (or use an immersible hand blender), and blend until smooth. Return to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and gradually mix in the heavy cream. Pour soup through a strainer before serving. Garnish each serving with a sprig of basil.